I still don’t have a Facebook account, despite using social media everyday. Did you ever develop that barrier to something, that no matter how many people espoused it as a good thing, you just refused to buy into it. Well, that’s my relationship with Facebook. I’m sure it has great uses in the world of social media, but I have stubbornly resisted the Facebook craze. I use Google+ with limited success, partially because I don’t have the time to put in hours of reading what everyone has to say, like it, share it. I read supposed experts saying that Google+ will surpass Facebook in users. But really what does it matter. Whether it is Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, or any other social media tool out there, they each have their audience and purpose. It really boils down to how to use them.
Here are a few ruts to avoid in using them:
1) Avoid becoming so dependent on reading everyone else’s comments that you park your brain from critically thinking through issues for yourself,
2) Avoid becoming a social media junkie that needs that daily fix, and forgets how to connect with real people,
3) Avoid retweeting, repinning, liking, sharing everything you see. Try to say something original for yourself,
4) Avoid reading headlines and sharing the link without actually reading the article. If you’re trying to get people to think you’re smart with all your shares and retweets, it probably isn’t working,
5) Avoid trying to many new apps. It can become overwhelming. If you are looking for a tool to analyze how many people are viewing your tweets, or pins, try a couple and stick with them for awhile. There are so many apps out there, you won’t possibly be able to try them all.
These are just a few thoughts I have to say about social media, because I’ve been guilty of each one of these ruts. Hate to see others get caught up in the trappings of social media and realize after it’s too late, that it really didn’t make much difference in the grand scheme of life how many followers you have anyway.
I’m sure I’ll add to this list over time. Hope this helps.